As most of you know Mr Tenacious been slowly settling into our new home (I know, I know, it’s been one HELL of a process), it literally feels like we’ve been hauling and organizing stuff for YEARS! Ok, that’s a little bit of an exaggeration but you know what I mean! As most of you know I’m a tiny bit of a CLEAN FREAK and since we’ve waited so long to finally be in our new home I’m even more crazy about keeping it clean so I’ve sort of nailed this routine down to a science. I will admit here that no, we don’t do it all on our own (SHOUT OUT TO THOSE OF YOU WHO DO!!!!), I honestly just don’t have the time to stay on top of it as much as I would like to … both Justin and I travel and work so much!! The two of us do keep up on our daily chores and keep the house clean but we brought on a little help (Superwoman, if you will) to help us maintain our investment. It’s REALLY important for us to keep the house in good shape so the ol’ gal doesn’t weather too quickly. This was a BIG debate in our household, but ultimately we decided to bank that time back into our family time or extra work time and that was worth the expense for US (everyone is different)!
Anyway … I had this idea of moving into this brand new sparkly home and it just being so perfect and clean and just gleaming! LOL!! Good one, right?! With our yard not being done (and Nacho taking FULL advantage of his doggy door) and contractors still in and out, there’s dirt in places I didn’t even know dirt could get. LOL. So I got an email from the team at Swiffer (thanks for sponsoring today’s blog!) and they asked if I wanted to try a couple of their products out … what’s that saying? “Give a man a hammer and everything becomes a nail” … welp … “Give a clean freak a Swiffer sweeper and everything looks like dirt” … LOL!
So, I’ve given both the Swiffer Sweeper and the 360 Duster a few goes and so far so good! I especially love the wet/dry sweeper for nachos footprints prints every morning because instead of having to haul out the mop every time he sees a squirrel or needs to pee (how small IS a dog’s bladder anyway?!?! The size of a pea?!?!) I can just give it a quick wipe … and again the next time he comes in … and again after that … lol.
Anyway, the whole point of this blog is to fully admit that I’m a clean freak (I’m one of those people who clean before the cleaner comes!! And funny enough … I was RUNNING around the laundry room BEFORE this photoshoot like the old lady on speed from Something about Mary trying to clean and organize … LOL! I know … it’s a problem) and I also LOVE to organize… and while at first, I thought I was a little crazy with this mentality I thought there HAVE to be people out there like me!! And for those of you who are baffled by my ways … I want you to know that there is a method to the madness … and I’m going to share it with you! LOL
1. Purge: One of the things I love MOST about moving is it’s the prime opportunity to PURGE!! I take some time to purge as I’m packing up and then I do it AGAIN as I’m unpacking. If I unpack something and I realized I haven’t used it in a couple of years, I will donate it because I don’t want to hold on to any unnecessary clutter!!
Pro Tip: Before you unpack, go around to all of your drawers and cupboards with a roll of painters tape and label where you want specific items to go. That way when you unpack you know exactly where you want everything!
2. Schedule: I’ve mentioned this before in some of my previous blogs but I LOVE to schedule EVERYTHING including cleaning!! I use Wunderlist for my cleaning checklist and clean with the best hepa vacuum that allow me to clean faster, I can easily assign chores to either myself or Justin (Yes, Leo … this is what you have to look forward to … LOL!) and as you complete them you can literally check them off and they disappear from your list BUT they also reoccur every single week!! You REALLY thought you could get out of chores that easily?? Not in this household!!
3. Organize: I am a little bit of an organizational FREAK … lol! I like to have a place for everything! Baskets, bins and storage containers are my best friends!! I like to separate the items in my drawer items with containers … basically “hide” (for lack of a better work) random odds and ends in baskets! It’s the PERFECT way to keep your home looking neat and tidy! Nacho even has his own little drawer that’s separated into his bow ties (yes … he has bow ties … they’re for special occasions, okay?? LOL!), his medications, treats, food, nail clippers, you name it, it has a “home”.
Pro Tip: Make your cleaning cabinet CUTE (yes, cute, lol!) and loaded with products that get you excited for cleaning invest in some new rags and cleaning supplies and that get you amped! Not amped?? See tip below.
Pro Pro Tip: A glass of rose ALWAYS makes cleaning fun.
4. One Step at a Time: Sometimes I like to tackle too many things at once and what I call “organized chaos” Justin considers it to be more like “little bombs” scattered around the house … lol! I’ve learned over the years that while I want to pound an espresso and DO ALL THE THINGS, I have to focus on one room and take it one step at a time. Slow and steady wins the race, right?? (Tell that to my espresso machine … lol) …
5. 15 Minutes a Day: Yup, 15 mins a day keeps the dust away. LOL. Seriously though, if you can get into the habit of cleaning for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening every day, you’ll be surprised at just how much you can get done and how much easier it is to stay on top of things! I mean, it’s pretty handy to quickly grab the Swiffer Sweeper for the floors and the Swiffer 360 Duster for all of those damn little dust bunnies that like to hide in every damn corner! Where do these come from anyway?!
Ok ladies … (and gents!!) … PLEASE share your cleaning hacks with me below! I’m ALWAYS looking for a new way to tackle things around here!
Thank you Swiffer for sponsoring this post. All comments and opinions are my own.